Our stunning antique reception desk in the foyer of the Manor House is open 24/7 to happily assist you with planning all aspects of your perfect visit to Swellendam, to answer all questions and cater to your every need. We so look forward to your visit!
Over The Hills
If you feel like taking the scenic route…
A trip over the breathtaking Tradouws Pass through the picturesque mission town of Suurbraak and on to Barrydale (quirky, little arty town) for an hour or two of quad-biking, then tapas lunch and wine-tasting at Joubert-Tradauw and back home.
Distance: 40 Minutes on tar road to Barrydale.
To the Sea
If you feel like a bit of a drive…
A trip down to the De Hoop Nature Reserve (wonderful whale-watching in season, some guests have seen 50 whales at a time, black jagged rock, white sand and turquoise sea, some Cape Mountain Zebra, buck, tortoises and ostriches… just beautiful!),
then on to Cape Agulhas to see the southernmost tip of Africa, a stop off in Bredasdorp at Julian’s for tea and cake and then home.
Distance: about an hour on dirt road to the Nature Reserve and then about half an hour down to Agulhas, part dirt and part tar and then 20mins back to Bredasdorp and an hour from there to Swellendam on tar road.
If you feel like wine tasting…
A trip through Bonnievale on to Robertson for Wine-tasting
- Starting at Weltevrede in Bonnievale for their Beautiful Rusted Soil Chardonnay, Traveling Stone Sauvignon Blanc and without missing their Philip Jonker Bubblies.
- Viljoensdrift for deli lunch on the barge.
- Springfield for their Whole Berry Cabernet Sauvignon, Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc, the unique The Work of Time Bordeaux style blend and outstanding Methode Ancienne Cabernet Sauvignon.
- And do stop at the Klipdrift distillery, for a proudly South African Brandy tasting.
- Finally, ending off at Graham Beck for their beautiful Bubbles, Viognier, Pheasants Run Sauvignon Blanc and Coffee Stone Cabernet Sauvignon.
Distance: Swellendam to Robertson is about a 40 minute drive without stopping
If you feel like a little bit of art & culture…
Down the Lane
If you feel like spending some time around our little town…
- A walk down Swellengrebel Street to art galleries, coffee shops, the Drostdy Museum, handmade Belgian chocolate, gifts and curios.
- A short drive into the Hermitage Valley to taste and pick Youngberries at Wildebraam Estate.
- A visit to the rain flagship store –bath & body products handcrafted in Swellendam and used in Schoone Oordt bathrooms.
- Lavender-picking and gifts at the Lavender Farm.
- A drive through the Bontebok Park for LOTS of Bontebok, pretty Breede River scenery and an eclectic mix of wildlife and birds.
- Golf on the 9-hole golf course with the most amazing view over the Hermitage Valley
Wild at Heart
If you feel like some adventure…
Please do look at our informative and descriptive map on the next page for many more details on the following activities.